Sometime in the middle of the night I seemed to have developed a cold. This is the second cold I have gotten this pregnancy. All and all it could be worse, but a pregnant cold seems sooo much worse that a regular cold. At least while you’re experiencing it. Now I will be the first to admit that I am a giant tit when I’m sick, and while pregnant.. and almost all the time…. Where was I? Ah yes, these are my top items to get me through a cold. all of them are currently within reach.
- Puffs Plus Lotion with the Scent of Vicks – I don’t know who invented these but I hope they got a raise. Lotion is a must in a facial tissue but when you’re sick the last thing you need is to be rubbing the equivalent of sandpaper on your nose. Add in the light scent of Vicks and this tissue opens up your airways and allows you to BREATHE. Even if it’s only for a moment.
- Orange Juice – I always increase my vitamin C intake when I’m sick. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn’t. Either way it tastes good, and it’s not bad for you so why not. I’m partial to Tropicana Lots of Pulp, but really as long as it says NOT FROM CONCENTRATE somewhere on the bottle I’m probably okay.
- Vitamins – Okay so I’m pregnant so I’m already on a plethora of vitamins, but pregnant or not I always take a few extra when I start to feel a cold coming on. My doctor suggests vitamin C and zinc. Once again, who knows if it helps but it certainly can’t hurt.
- Eucalyptus wax melts – This one definitely helps. As soon as nasal congestion hits this goes in my wax-warmers. I started using it when Hunter was younger and was so plugged up he wasn’t sleeping. I recently tried a Eucalyptus Mint tart which is fantastic, but my usual is the Just Breathe Scentcy Bar.
- Sprite – I’ll admit this one is odd, but when I get sick I get phlegmy. The best thing I have ever found to cut its way through that is carbonated beverages, and Sprite, in my opinion works the very best.
- Ginger-Ale – This generally is only when I have the stomach flu, but during this pregnancy my morning sickness has never really gone away so I have leaned on this a lot more that I would usually. I usually hate ginger-ale but I found if I steep a little fruit tea in it and it’s divine. My favorite is Canada Dry and Jenna Cherry Jubilee but I’m sure any combination is fantastic.
- Blistex – It has to be the Original Lip Medex. This is my also my go to day-to-day lip medication but when I am sick I cannot be without it. I obviously use it on my lips but I also use it on my nose. It does wonders in healing the sore nose you get from continuously blowing it. Plus its cooling … flavor? Scent? .. whatever it’s called it helps your chafed nose with out the burning lotion gives you.
Those are my go to remedies, at least when I am pregnant. What are your tried and true home remedies? Share them in the comments!