I spent the last two weeks smothered with a cold. I’m a total baby when I am sick and I suffer from what most people refer to as a man-cold. I know I am not a man, but I assure you the symptoms are one and the same. With the man-cold came the blogging break and I wasn’t really sure how to get back into it. Until I found this.
I was on Facebook last night I came across a post. The post encouraged us to sit down with our child, ask questions without any prompting, and then to repost the questions and answers along with our child’s name and age. I’ve had a few friends do this and I have always been entertained by the answers so I decided that I would try it with Hunter and Levi. I sat down separately with my older two boys to find out their answers because Hunter tends to just repeat whatever Levi says and I wanted his own opinion.
Here’s how my Q & A went with my 6-year-old and 4-year-old sons
1. What is something I always say to you?
Levi: “Go play in your room.”
2. What makes me happy?
Levi: “When I listen.”
Hunter: “When we do what we’re supposed to do.”
3. What makes me sad?
Levi: “When I have to go somewhere else.”
Hunter: “Giving me trouble.”
4. How do I make you laugh?
Levi: “Tickle me.”
Hunter: “Tickle me.”
5. What was I like as a child?
Levi: “Really good.”
6. How old am I? (I am 27)
Levi: “17” Much better than the 50 he said when I asked him the other day.
7. How tall am I? (I’m 5’ 7”)
Levi: “30 Feet”
Hunter: “50 Feet”
8. What is my favourite thing to do?
Levi: “Go fishing.”
Hunter: “Watch television.”
9. What do I do when you’re not around?
Levi: “Hang out with dad.”
Hunter: “I don’t know.”
10. What am I really good at?
Levi: “The Lego Batman game.”
11. What is something I’m not good at?
Hunter: “Painting nails.”
12. What do I do for a job?
Levi: “Take care of me.”
13. What is my favourite food?
14. What do you enjoy doing with me?
Levi: “Having picnics.”
Hunter: “Going to get ice cream.”
While that was the end of the “official” list I decided to expand.
15. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Levi: “Like dad.” Awww.
Hunter: “Power Ranger.”
16. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Hunter: “Power Rangers don’t have super powers.” Of course, they don’t,
17. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
Levi: “The chicken dance.”
Hunter: “All the dinosaurs together.”
18. Can you name one thing that scares you?
19. What do you do when you’re scared to make it less scary?
Levi: “Close my eyes.”
Hunter: “Tell people.”
20. Would you rather give up TV, chocolate or friends?
Hunter: “My friends.”
21. What is the most disgusting thing you can think of?
Levi: “Brown beans”
Hunter: “Carrots and broccoli, and brussels sprouts, and salad.” As you can tell he’s not a fan of vegetables.
22. What is the first thing you can remember?
Levi: “When Sakira died.” Sakira is our dog that passed away 18 months ago, this was a huge moment in Levi’s life but it has more to do with other things that happened at the same time and this is what he is subconsciously holding on to.
Hunter: “Going to the spray park.”
23. If you could change one rule, what would it be?
Levi: “not being able to watch a movie whenever I want.”
Hunter: “Having to clean up.”
24. What’s the most amazing thing you’ve ever heard?
Levi: “There was a real bumblebee.”
Hunter: “Superman.” I feel like this was influenced by the fact the Supergirl was playing in the background.
At the end of this, I feel like I have a much better idea of what my kids think; not only of me but of myself. Have you ever done anything like this with your kids?